Member Madness Guests and Update!
Member Madness is our time to accumulate feedback from you and our other favorite listeners while raising money to support public radio and the music community in Boston. This year, we’ve had some good friends stop by to spin their favorite tunes and share their love for WERS! We consider these people family here at the station. Here’s what they chose to play:
Mieka is a local singer-songwriter and great friend of the station. Back in May, she played at WERS’ Semel Spotlight with Tom Brosseau at the Semel Theater in downtown Boston. She recently won $10,000 from Cosmopolitan Magazine, all of which is going toward the production of her upcoming album. She spun songs to reflect the sound she’s looking to tackle on her next record.
1. Death Cab For Cutie – “Bixby Canyon Bridge”
2. Kings of Leon – “Closer”
3. Ben Folds Five – “Narcolepsy”
4. The Frames – “Stars Are Underground” (Live)
5. Arctic Monkeys – “Brianstorm”
6. Muse – “Take a Bow”
Sounds like it’ll be a pretty epic and rocking album, Mieka!
You may have seen Will appropriately belting the Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” without a microphone, at our 60th Anniversary show back in March. You may have also seen him playing his song “Rise” on CSI:NY (Gary Sinise on bass??) Either way, the local artist splits his time between Boston and L.A., and it’s always a treat to have him come by the station. On Wednesday, he visited WERS and threw on a few songs that have definitely shaped his career in music.
1. Grant Lee Buffalo – “Mockingbirds”
2. Neil Young – “Don’t Cry No Tears”
3. Apostles of Hustle – “Chances Are”
4. Air Traffic Controller – “Can’t Let Go”
5. The Rolling Stones – “100 Years Ago”
6. Elbow – “Mexican Standoff”
7. Emmylou Harris – “Where Will I Be”
8. Guided By Voices – “Glad Girls”
9. Rod Stewart – “Los Paraguayos”
Jay Sweet is the Editor-At-Large of Paste Magazine, as well as Producer of Folk at Fifty, a celebration of Folk in Newport. Jay stopped by to spin his favorite tunes of recent memory, all of which happen to look a helluva lot like our WERS Daytime playlists on any given day. He even admitted to using the station as a reservoir of influence during those early hours while he starts his day. No wonder the artists featured in Paste always look so familiar! The guy definitely did a good job producing the Newport Folk Festival last year; he brought artists like Calexico, Cat Power, The Avett Brothers, The Black Crowes, She & Him, Levon Helm, and many others to Fort Adams State Park. Can’t wait to see who will be playing this year. (But definitely keep an eye out for the lineup being revealed within the coming weeks.)
1. Frightened Rabbit – “Good Arms Vs. Bad Arms”
2. Iron & Wine – “The Devil Never Sleeps”
3. Decemberists – “Sons & Daughters”
4. Elvis Perkins – “Hey!”
5. Ben Kweller – “Sawdust Man”
6. Fleet Foxes – “Ragged Wood”
7. Neko Case – “People Got a Lotta Nerve”
The fun doesn’t end there. Susan Scotti, Publicist of the historic Club Passim will be stopping by around 4pm on Friday. Don’t miss her favorite songs!
We’re well on our way to our goal of $105,000 for Member Madness! Pledge your support to non-commercial radio to keep your music fresh and fun. Visit WERS.org to make a donation, or call 617-824-8700.